Tuesday 15 February 2011

Quick and easy meals: Cottage Pie

Hello everybody!

In the last few weeks there has been an increase in the amount of readers that I have, so I want to give all you new readers a very warm welcome. And a big thank you to my faithful readers for your lovely support. I hope that you enjoy what you see. Feel free to write comments and come with suggestions and ideas!

I'm in the middle of doing my internship at the International Office at my university.I have such wonderful colleagues...well at least they feel like colleagues, even though I'm just there for a little while. So now I'm getting a feel of what it is like to be a working woman. It's fun, but quite a change of routine. I'm used to studying and being on maternity leave for the past few years, so even though I've had lots to do, my time has been much more flexible. Now I know what it is like working and coming home in the evening and having to quickly prepare a meal.

Sometimes a meal thrown together in 20 minutes can be the best...both because they go so quickly to make and also because they can be really delicious! Last night we had some friends over for dinner, so it was one of those times when I needed to throw a meal together quickly. So I made a creamy version of cottage pie. And it was DELICIOUS! Easy to make and really tasty. It's also great to make a big batch and then freeze it in smaller portions for a quick and easy lunch.



When I made it I kind of just threw together different ingredients that I had at home, but I will try and give you the approximate amounts.

This recipe makes about 8 portions:

500 g mince
1 tbsp oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp soya
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 dl creme fraiche
2 dl cream
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp ketchup
1 bag of frozen peas, carrots and beans
Salt and pepper

1. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mince and fry for a few minutes. Add the crushed garlic, soya, vinegar och Worcestershire sauce and let it fry a few more minutes.
2. Add the cream, creme fraiche, tomato puree, ketchup and frozen vegetables and fry another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (If the sauce is to runny, thicken with some corn starch).Put the mince into an oven-proof dish.

For the potato mash:
15 potatoes
2 dl creme fraiche
Salt and pepper
A handful of cheese

1. Peel the potatoes and boil them.
2. Mash the potatoes together with the creme fraiche. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread the potatoes over the mince. Sprinkle some cheese on the top and bake in the oven at 220 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.




What are some of your favourite quick meals to make?

Happy eating!

Love,
Heidi

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio